Familia Takes Care of Familia

Whitney - Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina

I Believe

There are many things in life that are out of our control: for instance, our names, our birthdays, and especially our families. We are all born into a family and no matter what we do, we can’t change who they are or forget we are a part of them.

I was born into a family of a special breed. There are a lot of us: we’ve got the hicks, the drama queens, the alcoholics, the goody-two shoes, and even the former criminals. I was born to love these people, no matter how they behave or the acts they have committed. I will say my immediate family is probably the more sane of the bunch, but that’s not saying much.

There have been times in my life where I would have liked to bring friends over for cook-outs at my grandma’s house, but fear of my uncle getting drunk and performing a strip show again, dissuaded me. I would even love to bring a boy over for a family gathering every once in a while, but he’d be picked to pieces by my nosy aunts and uncles.

My family may be a lot of things and a lot to handle, but I am thankful for them. No matter how much they torture me with their whines, complaints and life choices, I wouldn’t trade them for all the stars in the sky. I know that whenever I need them, they will be there.

Six years ago, my mother suffered from her first brain aneurysm. Since then, she has fought numerous aneurysms and life threatening surgeries. But, our family has always been there. I know that when something is wrong I could call on any of them, day or night, and they would be there, if only for support.

Even for my high school graduation, my family was there to celebrate with me. Being one of the very few to ever attend college, they were proud and wanted me to know. Each one of them donated to my college education, even with what little they had, they shared it with me. It was important for them to make my dreams come true.

As I prepare to graduate and I think of all the opportunities ahead of me, I won’t forget how much my family has meant to me throughout my life. No matter what comes my way, what obstacles I face, I know who’s behind me. I believe in my family.