this i believe

Sam - Raleigh, North Carolina

I believe

When I was young I used to fight with my older brother on a daily basis. We would fight about any and everything. Fights as stupid as to who got the last waffle could lead to a bloody nose and a day spent by myself in my room in timeout. My mom use to always say, “Boys don’t fight your brother, he’s always going to be there and always be your best friend. That’s something you can’t replace.” As my brother and I have grown older I have grown to believe this. I believe that my brother is my best friend and that he is someone that I can’t replace. I believe that the bond between brothers something that is immeasurable.

You can’t truly understand what I am talking about unless you have a brother. For those guys that do have a brother, what I am saying makes perfect sense. A brothers bond is not spoken; it is something that is understood only by the two brothers, no one else. Nothing needs to be said it is a mutual feeling. I believe that a brothers bond is something that is unspoken. You typically don’t see two brothers hugging and telling each other that they love the other one. This is an understood emotion; two brothers would rather spend their time together doing other things such as hunting or fishing.

My brother and I are two years apart in age and one year apart is school, so we were always close buddies growing up. We did everything together. Piss off the neighbors, build forts in the woods and harass the baby sitter, we did it all. Where ever he went, I went. As a young kid I always wanted to tag along with my big brother, and do the things that he did. I’m sure that he got annoyed at this, always having me around pestering him, asking him questions and constantly copying him, but with the time that we spent together we formed a bond that only brothers can have. Nothing needs to be said, we just know that we are each other’s best friend. The bond that was created as little kids has only gotten stronger as we have grown into young adults, and will continue to do so as we get older.

I believe that the bond between two brothers is something that should never be underestimated. No matter how much we fought when we were young, or how much trouble we got in, we will always share a bond that only brothers can share. We don’t speak about it, and we don’t really talk to other people about it. Both of us know that the other one will always be there. There are no spoken words, no sentimental “I love you man”, just an unspoken bond that we have created over the years. I believe that a bond between two brothers is stronger that anyone can imagine, and is something that should never be underestimated.