Be a Hero

Jordan - Heber, Utah
Themes: death, family

“A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but is braver five minutes longer.” I choose to write my “This I Believe” essay on my belief in heroes. One of the biggest heroes in my life is my Dad he has taught me not only about sports but about how good morals and values to take into my life. He said one way to be a hero to be an example to my sisters. If you think about it everyone is a hero in some way. Either your a parent, brother, sisters, or even you friends. You can be a hero to enemy and gain a friend. If you think about it if everyone was a hero to another person this would be a very peaceful world. There would be no world hunger or wars, world peace would be easily obtained.

One example were my father was a hero was in 2004 we were down in a little town named Wales, UT., the turkey capital of the west. We were down there for my Grandpa’s funeral. When we got back to the farm after the service my grandparents cousins wanted to see my grandpa’s favorite horse so my dad went over and got on the horse bareback because he only had to ride 30 yards. When they were about 15 yards away the horse saw a open gate and dashed to it full bore when it turned it turned on a dime a sent my dad flying 20 miles an hour at a barbwire fence post, head first. We rushed him to the hospital were we were sent home with a “cracked rib and a brushed lung.” After about a week and a half he got sick and when we took him to the Heber, ER, where they gave him three chest tubes hand they life flighted him to Provo were they said he had a miss diagnoses he really had a punctured lung a ten broken ribs, he had a lost a lot of blood. After a month in ICU he came home and was unable to move for four months. His strength help me threw him almost dieing and my grandpa dieing.

I think everyone has had trials or situations were if the looked there was a hero to help them threw it. So be a hero to someone it could help a lot more then you know. This I Believe.