This I believe: In Nuturing and Supporting All Children

Suzan - Newark, Ohio
Themes: children

I believe in supporting and nurturing all children. Therefore, it is my duty to encourage children and help them succeed by doing my best to give them this positive reinforcement and care they deserve. I believe that the more positivity children see in life today, the greater chance they have of succeeding and doing well in the future. I should be setting an excellent example for all children. I should be a role model and help give children the type of influence they need.

I feel fortunate to have come home after school to a house filled with people who supported and helped me, people who loved me. Not every child gets this wonderful opportunity and an extremely alarming amount of children go home to parents who would rather not have them there. I have learned through my experience in volunteering in schools that the most important thing I can do for them is to encourage them to do the best they can for everything in life. When a child comes home to fighting or abuse, or a parent who does not nurture them and provide support, it is very discouraging and can definitely have an impact on the outlook this child has on life or even happiness in general. I believe that every child should receive positive support and encouragement from their families and community members. The sad fact of the matter is that the negative influences in children’s lives definitely show in their ability to learn and retain knowledge.

I walk into a Kindergarten class three times a week and, without fail, every time I step foot in there a young student puts her finger in the air and shows me that she can write the letters in her name. After helping her learn to spell her name, I ask her if she works on it with her mom at home and every time I ask this poor girl says she says, “No!” It seems as though this young child only gets support while she is at school. She is our future. Her generation is out future and that is what needs to be remembered when guiding a child. I believe that it is my responsibility as a future teacher to give my students an education that will build their confidence that will give them joy in life.

Just out of high school I took a volunteer position to run an after school program in an inner-city middle school and this is one experience that has gotten me to my belief today. A lot of these children that came to the after school program had no one at home. The majority of the students went home to video games and making dinner, which was only if there was food to be cooked. These children deserve to be supported in all of their trials and tribulations along with the good and the bad. The innocence that lies within these young people entitles them to be given all opportunities equally. Those students who did not come to the afterschool program were left on their own either roaming the streets or hanging around an empty house. I believe that this is no way for a child to live.

Children today need to feel loved, and cherished because this in turn boosts their confidence. Nurture and support can make a child go so far in life. If at home a child is not receiving any positive reinforcement or support that child will most likely come to school embarrassed with their head held low and a negative attitude because they are not learning as well or as fast as the children who receive support at home. Those who do get support come to me with their heads held high and smiles on their faces ready to learn and prove how smart they are. After volunteering in three different schools and observing children and parent teacher conferences, I have learned it is obvious which students are not receiving the support they need, and it is those students who we need to reach out to.

I know that in a few years when I begin teaching I want to be a positive influence, just like those significant teachers in my life who have helped me. I know that it is my responsibility when I become a teacher to be one of those teachers on a students list that helped to inspire them and guide them, a teacher who gave them the support they needed to succeed. I believe every child deserves the support and nurturing it takes to build their confidence and reach for their dreams.