Next to me, I Stand

Jordan - Frankfort, Kentucky

Next to Me, I Stand

All your life people tell you to be strong, never give up, and be independent. They speak these words to you because part of them want you to succeed, but more than that they know when it all comes down you’re only going to have yourself to lean on. I believe that the only person you can truly depend on is yourself.

Now this belief doesn’t stem from rebellion or some type of hatred towards the world, rather it is because I have lived this idea since I was little. My parents always thought I was capable of taking care of myself as a child because they were never around to offer mature and experienced advice. However, I took this as no weakness to me. I have learned that it helped me see the world a lot sooner than others. All the adversity allowed me to grow into a better person who knows how to handle the stress of hardships. It pushed my mental understanding of how I was going to need only myself to gain and accomplish what I wanted.

There is no doubt that if I hadn’t held myself up in all the struggles, I would not have written this paper. Whenever I was teased or gossiped about I didn’t have someone to go to. I kept all those insults in a vault somewhere inside me, and used it as fuel to drive myself to out best everyone else.

However, great people have come my way. I have great family, honest friend, and many acquaintances. Yet they will not do my work, they will not complete my job, and most of all they cannot be me. No one can hold me up like I can.

Leaning on yourself means that you have to stand up for your own beliefs even when you have no strength left. You will always have somebody you can talk to, but they have their own agenda. They cannot always be there for you to draw support. That’s why I believe that I must depend on myself to make it through the days and achieve my goals. It is I that keeps me alive.