belief in faith

phillip - pinson, Alabama

Everyday was just miserable for me. I couldn’t stop thinking about what happens if he passes away or how I will never get to play golf with my dad again. For some reason I didn’t want to fully believe in my faith. In the middle of thinking about this, my dad approached me because of how I was acting. He told me he was not scared of death and just wanted to enjoy life for however long was left. His faith poured out of him and just broke me that night. He showed me I have no reason to be sad when he is thinking that optimistically. Since that night faith has been the central of my life and I have fully believed in where it takes me.

In December of 2007, my father was diagnosed with cancer in his abdomen. By the time they found it had spread to the other organs located in his body like the stomach, liver, and such. This cancer is terminal, meaning nothing but a medical miracle can stop the cancer. It was in stage four and all hope was slipping away I thought. My family and I came together to find a way to get through the situation. We knew the only thing we could do is stay devoted to our faith that got us to this part in our life.

What is faith? To some faith means to believe in the unseen or just a bandwagon people ride. Faith to me means to believe whole heartily in something wherever it takes you. I believe that before you can have faith though, you have to believe in it. You have to know deep down that your faith, in whatever you put it into, is real by having it through any type of situation not just the good times. My belief in faith comes from the Lord Jesus Christ and what he did for me on the cross. Believing in faith is hard when rough times enter your life. The past year has been a rollercoaster ride and faith has been the only consistent thing in my life.

Some might think believing in faith is to believe in believing but, I think it goes deeper than that. Believing in faith takes sacrifice so you can put your heart into something. That’s what I believe in, no matter what happens I will always have my faith to hold onto. My dad’s life is in the Lord’s hands and when he is ready to take him he will. Until then I will believe in the faith I have that my dad is going to be okay.