Shelby - Katy, Texas
Themes: fear

Nothing can be more controlling than fear. It can control feelings and reign over lives. I believe in being fearless.

This past summer I went to Colorado with my church group. “Ugh, I don’t do heights”, I managed to say through the lump in my throat as I gazed up at the mountains surrounding me. Through much debate, bawling, thrashing of my arms, and kicking of my legs, I was pulled to the base of a 15,000 foot tall mountain. With trembling limps and tear stained cheeks I reached the summit. Seeing the scenery changed my life; I had never witness God’s beauty, talent, grace, or creation better than that day. Being fearless changed my perspective on religion, live, and just plain living.

To be without fear is one thing, but to be “fearless” is totally different. Being fearless does not mean I have no fears. It means I have things I am afraid of, but I live my life regardless. I do not avoid things I fear, I be strong and look them in the face. I don’t not climb mountains because I am afraid of heights. I don’t not plant flowers with my mom because I am terrified of spiders. I don’t even guard my heart even thought I am afraid to fall in love and be loved in return: I do all these things because I am fearless.

My life is full of things I fear, but I am full of strength, passion, and heart, which together get me through life in spite of the things that try to keep me down. No fear of mine can keep me from doing the things I long to do, or from trying things I would never dream of. Being fearless shows me new ways to live my life and to live it to the fullest. By letting fear take the steering wheel, I am selling myself short of life-changing experiences. I believe that to be the best person that I can be, I must be fearless.