You Can’t Judge a Book by its Cover

Michelle - Katy, Texas
Themes: tolerance

As a student in high school, you learn that the kids here can be pretty harsh with their comments. No matter how nice of a person you are, or how great your personality is, they will only go by how you look. They will never know what that person has been through, what they enjoy and how great of a friend they could be. If only they were just given a chance. Which is why I believe that you can not judge a book by its cover.

One day walking down the hallway on the way to my class, I see a group of football players in the corner. Your typical jocks: popular, muscular, and always laughing at someone who walks by. I was just minding my own business when I see this guy walk by. I recognized him from the special ed class I used to help with back in junior high, so I waved to him as he passed and I noticed that made him smile. I felt pretty good about myself at that point and just continued on to my class. Then I hear, faintly from the corner of football players, “Wow, that kid has a lot of zits on his face! Gross.” All I wanted to do was go back and tell them “You have no idea what they were talking about” and “that guy was the nicest person you will ever meet.” But of course I did not have to courage to do that.

The reason why this upset me so much was because those football players knew the guy was in special ed, so why would anyone say something like that. I realize now that if something like this happens again, I should confront them. The belief that I stated from the very beginning is you can not judge a book by its cover, and its true. Those football players did not know anything about this guy. They did not know he was the nicest guy in the school or how he lives his life. They only went by what was on his face. This I believe.