I Believe In Vanilla and Chocolate Swirl Ice Cream Cones

Erica - Hoover, Alabama
Themes: family, pleasure

I believe in chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cones. When I was a little girl, I came to love this dessert, but not because of the taste. When I lived in West Virginia, the Marilla pool became my second home. It almost became a ritual to attend this pool during the summer every Friday at one, when my grandma got off work. My grandfather, grandmother, mother, and two sisters were the loved ones I went with. My grandfather, a man I grew to love and respect, was the man that made these ice cream cones so special.

I looked forward to those times when I sat next to my grandfather on those hot summer days. The sunny days caused sweat to roll off of the tip of my nose. Screaming and splashing could be heard everywhere, but the only thing I was focused on was the fact that I was at the pool with my grandfather. The heat caused you to become very dehydrated and your mouth very dry. The cool wet water allowed many people to escape the heat, but we sat by the pool and waited until the heat made it hard to swallow. My grandfather and I would then walk to the concession stand. The aroma of French fries, pizza, and ice cream penetrated the air. We would then order two chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cones. Each cone was seventy-five cents. He gave me three quarters to let me pay for myself. He knew I liked to feel like I was a big girl. We then walked back to our designated seats where the rest of the family was located.

We sat side by side in silence sharing a moment I could never replace and still miss all the time. As a little girl, eating an ice cream cone is just a normal routine. Over the last few years though, it has become so much more. While I longed to feel like a big girl and pay for my own cone back then, I would gladly trade my age for one more moment with my grandfather. Sitting next to him with nothing to worry about would be an ideal day. The chocolate and vanilla swirl ice cream cone has become a very important treat in my life. This treat represents a time with my grandfather that I will never again experience, and this is why I believe so strongly in them.