I believe in Family

Orion - Beaverton, Oregon

I believe in Family

Many people believe that family is simple someone who is related to you by blood, I couldn’t disagree more. I believe family is someone who helps you to get enculturated into the world, someone who is always there for you through hard and good times. There are many parents out there who would give up hope in their child at the first sight of flaw, yet there are “strangers” who would take that child in and raise him above their dreams.

When I was ten years old, I was caught between a divorce of my mom and father, where I stayed with my mom during the whole time. My mother not having a collage education, or having worked independently for over 12 years was having trouble supporting us. For the first of four long, hope-full, father-missing days, we had to live in the basement of my moms friends house. It was extremely awkward living in someone else’s house, and living by their rules. Aventally Helen kicked us out, and my mother and I found ourself stranded again. Thank-fully there was an aunt and uncle in Houston, Texas who where willing to take us in. Even though they where my aunt and uncle it was still awkward moving in since I haven’t seen them in such a long time, that was soon to change. Over the next three years I grew greatly attached to my uncle Keith who showed me how to renovate houses at his work, stand up for my self, fish, and many other great accomplishments. I was there to watch his three man construction business turn into a sixty man business, and inspired me to become a construction engineer. He was the solution to me missing my dad, in-fact I accedntly called him dad once, so he was known as dad#2. Around Christmas time in 2006 my dad came down to visit me, and to see if he could wok it out with mom. It all ended up to work out and we moved to Portland, Oregon to live in OUR house.

I still get chills when I think what would happened to my mother and I had my family not been there for us. I would have probably gotten into drugs, and no doubt be getting bad grades since my uncle helped me with homework almost everyday after school. After all that happened to me there isn’t a doubt that I believe in family.