Brains over Brawns

Jacob - Beaverton, Oregon

Every day I wonder how and why people make the things that we have to day. I mean why someone would think of making an I-pod or a superfast computer. It’s because they where and are smart people. I believe in brains over brawns. I believe this because our history we as humans have made extraordinary things, from a sharpened stick for a spear to a very advanced computer that can figure out almost anything. Now we would be nowhere if we did not have strong men and women, but what made them so good was the fact that they had the smart people to make the weapons or teach them the best ways to fight.

From a very young age I found this out. I think I was about five years old when I found out that I was never going to be a very strong person but I did however know how to deal with problems and do things differently so that it would make it easier for me.

I also had this happen in my life from third to eighth grade when I played youth football. I was almost always the smallest guys out there yet I still was always on first string on offence and defense plus all the special teams (kick-off, kick receive, punt and punt receive) all the time. And it is because I was always known how to move around the other players on the felid. Now I’m not saying you don’t need to have some athletic ability to play football but the thing is that I didn’t have very much strength back then so it was because I was able to see what was going on and could react to it very fast.

This was also the why my dad did so well in sports when he was kid, he also knew the best ways to play any sport he tried by knowing what to do instead of just trying to just workout and see if that made him better. And I think that his actions to “look before you leap”, “meashare twice drill once”, these things have help him and me be good at things that we could not do if we just went and did something without seeing if it would work or not.

This is why I believe in brains over brawns, because in history smart people have always been the backbone of any war, any battle, and any invention that humanity has come accost in the billions of years we have been here.