Emily - Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Events happen in our lives that are unexplainable, unforgivable, and unforgettable. Following this event, humans react and recover in different ways. Some “find themselves” and others become even more lost. Regardless of the differences in reaction, humans always rely on faith. We have faith, not only in God, but also in the assurance that everything passes and gets better in time. I believe that faith is one of the most powerful ideas that hold people together when times get tough.

I was a junior in high school when my parents first found out I was having sex. They confronted me about it and I confessed, but they weren’t happy about me telling the truth. A matter of fact, they blew up. My dad was the worst. He screamed that things would never be the same, that he hated me, and that I was an awful person. Hearing these things from my parents when I was 16 years old really upset me. I began to cry and scream back, which just fueled the fire, and my dad ended up choking me. I ran away from home and my dad left town for about three weeks. It was the worst thing that ever happened to me and literally tore me and my family apart. When I was away from home I started praying more frequently and reflecting on what my life meant to me. My faith was the only thing that got me through this event. I didn’t believe that my parents loved me anymore and felt like I had nowhere to turn besides God.

A few weeks after this incident, I decided to get a tattoo on my wrist that said Faith. I honestly believe that this one word gave me the strength to survive. I had thought about ending my life several times after this occasion and probably wouldn’t be alive today if I had not had this belief. There are many trials in our lives that will push us to the edge and make us wonder if life is worth living. Some people will give in, but others will persevere. I believe that if you have faith that everything happens for a reason and passes in time, your life will be filled with joy and happiness and you will never be unsatisfied.