I’m Too Busy

Courtney - Newark, Ohio

I’m too busy- something I hear people say all the time. But one experience in my life has changed the way I look at the word “busy”. The word busy doesn’t exist to be used by me as an explanation for not being a good person. I used to use it in that way though. If I felt like I should take some time to spend with my family it was always pushed aside by the notion that there were too many other things to do like going to a friend’s house or talking on the phone. I knew my family would be there for me either way so I didn’t worry about the way I treated them. My belief’s soon changed though and I realized how much I believe in taking the time when I think I’m too busy.

I was thirteen years old when I received an accidental phone call from my Aunt Kay. She attempted to start a conversation but I had a friend on the other line and I was only concerned with getting back to that friend, so I ended the conversation as soon as possible. But a few months later my Aunt Kay passed away. This was a humbling experience and I realized the terrible mistake I had made. I was determined to change my ways.

I believe in taking the time no matter how busy I am. Throughout high school and into my college years I changed the way I treated life. If it’s ten o’clock at night and I’m just getting home from basketball practice I will stop and visit with my grandma no matter how much homework I have or how tired I am. And now that I’m in college I always make sure that I take the time to call all my family members.

I have heard my whole life how important family is but I never knew the true definition until this experience wrote it for me. It’s not enough to just know that they’re my family it’s a necessity for me to know the small details like how my aunts used to play cowboys and indians with my dad and that my grandma was forced to raise a child on her own while my grandpa was in the war.

I believe in taking time to appreciate little things in life such as the trees, the beautiful sunsets, and the sound of laughter. My Aunt Kay struggled with different sicknesses her whole life but I always remember her with a smile on her face and I can still hear the sound of her laughter in my head. I’ve learned to enjoy life, whether it’s good or bad because in reality I truly do live an amazing life. I can walk, I am able to receive a good education, and I have wonderful, loving people around me. And sometimes when I’m walking outside, I take a moment to look at the trees and their leaves or look at the sky and realize just how blue it really is. I believe in taking the time to know and to notice all the beautiful things around me.