My grandmother, the mentor

Allison - Mount Pleasant, South Carolina

I had a fairly happy childhood, filled with innocent games of hide-and-go-seek, my father pushing me on a rope swing, and yes, I even found picking at my younger sister to be rather enjoyable.

However, with the good also comes the bad. When my grandmother died from a stroke at the end of my eighth grade year, I learned about the unexpected curve balls life can throw your way.

This is what I believe. I believe that what matters most is not the fall, but having the strength to rise up, above the hurt and pain to live again. I believe that regardless of how bad things may be going, no matter how desperate a situation is, it is important to remain strong, relying on yourself above all else.

My grandmother was my mentor. She taught me piano every week, tutored me in world history and instilled in me the importance of being an intelligent, classy woman. She was more than my grandmother, she was my role model.

When she died, I refused to allow the invaluable lessons she taught me to die along with her. The memory of grandmother has inspired me to pursue a college degree. Being a librarian, my grandmother knew the importance of higher education. I have questioned many choices I have made in life, but going to college is not one of them.

This is what I believe. I believe that when someone you love dies, it is important to honor their memory by living your life in such a way that would have made them proud. I believe that while many things are out of my hands, I only have control over my actions. I believe that when everything else fails, you must remain strong, relying on yourself above all else.

I will graduate from college in May ’09. While it has been an uphill battle for most of the way, I am proud of the how far I have come. It has not been easy, but that is what life is about, reaching beyond what you believe you are capable of to achieve the unthinkable.

This is what I believe. I believe that you should never let someone tell you that you can’t do something. I believe that what is important in life is that you remain strong, relying on yourself above all else. Life is not determined by the number of times we fall, it is measured by how many times we get up. These lessons have taken me far in life, and I will continue living by these words for years to come. With the good and bad, I believe you must remain strong, relying on yourself above all else.