Is Life What It Appears to Be?

Barbara - Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Age Group: 65+

Is Life What It Appears To Be?

I believe that thing are never as they appear to be. When tragedy strikes, we so often have a hard time absorbing what is happening now and dealing with it. We have no idea what the future holds, we only know that now seems intolerable.

Over 13 years ago our family was in a very bad automoblie accident. A truck with a rig attached lost control and decided that our side of the roaod was more inviting that his. Unfortunately for us we were in his way. If we had only enjoyed one more cup of coffee before starting on our journey, we wouldn’t have been there. But we didn’t and we were.

It was very dramatic. The medics, ambulances, fire depaprtments, all did their jobs. They cut us out of the car, whisked us to hospitals, air lifited me to a better equipped facility. My clothes were cut from me, I V ‘s were inserted…just like the tv show ER. The next 6 months were an exersise in slow motion. My daughter and I were the most severly hurt and we healed together in the beginning. Our husbands didn’t know what to do and pretty much were reduced to bringing food and watching. But we giggled gently(deep laughter hurt every one of our injuries) and learned many things not the least of which was to appreciaite good music. We were grateful to our family and friends and felt the incredible joy of being able to walk slowly around the house once, then twice.

Our bodies eventually healed, but no one in our family was ever quite the same. I remember at the time my older brother saying ” I can see nothing good coming from this” But he was wrong. For me my injuries and slow healing gave me an opportunity to evaluate my life and instilled a passion in me to help others to heal. I went on to study Chinese Medicine and learn acupressure techniques which had helped me so much in my own recovery.My daughter learned that living without a spleen and the increased chance of infection were not going to stop her from having three children and living a normal life. She also discovered what you hope to be true, but don’t really know, that her husband of 6 weeks at the time would do anything for her and did and continues to do so. The rest of our family learned that sometimes there is nothing else to do but love and watch and it works.

So now when something appears to be terrible, I take a deep breath, look inside for my strength and get in touch with the joy of “not knowing”

To quote Soren Kierkegaard “Life can only be understood backkwards, but it has to be lived forwards”