The Ultimate Adventure

Alisa - Columbia, Maryland

The three of us stood there with linked hands, staring at each other, knowing that one of us would start to cry at any moment. It wasn’t a surprise to us when Bree was the first one to wetly stain her face; she had always been the group’s crier. The domino effect quickly took place until we were all sobbing. I had recited the words in my mind that I would say when this day came, and now that it has arrived I am left feeling speechless. The airport is a horrible place to say good-bye, but then again, is there really such a thing as a good spot to bid farewell? I doubt it.

The days leading up to this terrifying good-bye were the best days of my life. We were on the adventure of a lifetime, the ultimate road trip. We started in Maryland and ended in Reno, Nevada, traveling through 13 states, and making a guest appearance in Tijuana, Mexico. This was a bittersweet journey, three of us were leaving and only two of us were coming home. Bree was moving her life to Reno so she could be with her family again. As much as we didn’t want to lose our best friend, we knew it was the best decision and we couldn’t think of a better way to say good-bye then to travel the country first.

The things we saw on our drive were enough to make this trip carvve a permanent spot in my memory forever. From the mountains in West Virginia, to Graceland in Tennessee, to the first integrated high school in America located in Little Rock, Arkansas, over to the nothingness that embodies Oklahoma, down to Cadillac Ranch in Texas with all them cowboys, next to the red clay plateaus that fill the landscape of New Mexico, and to the endlessly amazing Grand Canyon in Arizona, then up to the incredible Hoover Dam and the insane Las Vegas, only to end up California Dreamin’ in San Diego.

As the trip came to an end we knew we would soon have to face a near impossible farewell. Our trio was soon to become a duo and I couldn’t bear the thought. I tried to think of it only as a “see you later”, not exactly as a good-bye, but I ultimatley knew that it would be a very long time until I saw her again. No more sleepovers involving endless hours of the Discovery Channel while muching on junk food. No more long drives in which we would get lost nearly every time and end up in a different state, and no more heart ot heart’s in which tears were normally involved. My best friend that turned into my sister was now going to live 3,000 miles away from me.

It’s been over a year since the farewell tour and th ings have changed drastically like we all subconsciously knew they would. The three best friends that spent every day together for nearly an entire year no longer see each other every day, let alone talk to each other every day. One of us has become a mother, one of us is going away to college in the spring, and one of us is slowly but surely creating an amazing future for herself. No matter how many miles are between us, they will always be the sisters that I was never biologically granted, this I do believe.