I believe my Dad can fix anything

Britt - Newark, Ohio

I believe my dad can fix anything. My dad is the smartest man I know. I love my dad, and we have a very close father- daughter relationship. My parents got divorced when I was six, just entering second grade. After the divorce was finalized, my mother moved to Ohio and my father moved to Georgia. We had to say good-bye to our dad. That was the last day my dad would be there to wake me up for school, eat breakfast with me, and even get me on the bus. As I started a new school in Ohio I had to adjust to a new life. On school holidays I traveled to visit with my dad. We had a lot of fun together, we played outside, went to the pool, and even played dress-up.

When I was eight years old, my dad and I were riding bikes around the cul-de-sac, when the chain on my bicycle broke. I hollered to my dad to help; he came running up and asked me what was the matter? I replied, “Dad look my chain broke,” “Can you fix it?” My dad went to go get his tool box. I nagged my dad again, “Can you fix it?” I stood there is despair, wondering if my bike would ever ride again. After a few minutes of my dad tinkering with the chain of the bike he said, “There you go, your dad can fix anything.” I stood there a few minutes reflecting on what he had said, and thought “Yes my dad can fix anything!”

Once when I was 16, my dad and I were outside to playing catch, one of our favorite hobbies, and the laces on my glove were loose. I took my glove to show my dad, and he said to go and grab a screwdriver so he could re-lace my glove. As I walked to get my glove it amazed me just how much my dad could do; he was not an expert on softball gloves, but he sure could fix it.

This saying “my dad can fix anything” has been in our family many years now. My dad always told me how lucky I was to have a dad that could fix anything. You know what is ironic, my dad always told me he could fix anything, even if he wasn’t sure he could. I never doubted my dad. I never saw my dad let me down, he has been there for me through thick and thin. My dad and I still live a great distance away, but still talk everyday.

I believe my dad is my hero; I look up to him and admire all the great things he has done to provide for my siblings and me, like pay for our first car, and our college education. Even now that I am quite the grown-up, a junior in college, my dad is still reminding me that he can fix anything. I believe I am blessed to have a father like mine, one that is interested in all that I do, especially in my classes. My dad is the most impressive person I ever met. I believe in him, and he believes in me, and that is why I believe my dad can fix anything.