I believe in an unnamed generation

Crystal - Henderson, Nevada

I believe in my unnamed generation.

When I watch those silly sitcoms and the supposed reality shows that are Hollywood’s depictions of my age group, I always wonder where they get those people. Those aren’t the people I see at concerts, at the clubs, at the movies. They aren’t my fellow college students who lurk in the library, stocking up on knowledge like it was having an out of business sale. They aren’t my friends, my enemies, or even my acquaintances I nod to when we pass on the street. They didn’t go to my high school or my gym. In fact, they are no where to be found, even in a place like Las Vegas, where I attend college.

Sometimes I’m offended by what the media says about my age group and the studies that state our supposed ignorance, our alleged apathy. But I realize now that they aren’t insults but misconceptions that simply need to be corrected. I remind myself that the possibilities before me, the endless variation of choices that compose the open space offered to my generation overshadow the critics. Moreover, my belief in my generation makes me realize that my life can mean something and can be anything I want to be. I believe that my generation can catch what’s falling, can save the suffering, and are merely waiting for the opportunity. I believe these things not because of the media, not just because they have been told to me, but because I believe my generation will make this a possibility.

People will call me a dreamer, but I, too, am pragmatic. I realize we hold no perfection; we have yet to accomplish anything remarkable. I understand the struggle, the fight before us. It will not be easy, in any shape or form. We have no plan, no uniting force, and very little common ground. But I believe that somehow, in the darkness that we fear is looming over our country and world, my generation will carry the torch through the night. I believe it every time I strike up a conversation with a random twenty-something at a nightclub or when I hear the passion in the voices of my classmates for a cause.

Some may see our tattoos, wild t-shirts which pose as social commentary, and the requisite Mp3 player hanging from our ears as signs of impending doom. But I see them as indications of a brand new world. I realize now after writing this that it is not my generation I believe in, but its chance for glory. I believe in the exciting possibilities of my generation more than anything else. I believe it because I see it every day, everywhere, and in everyone that I come into contact with. For me this belief is not a leap of faith, but merely, I pray, a prediction of future events. I believe we await our opportunity for greatness. And that is why I so strongly believe in something yet unnamed, like my generation.