Teachings of mountains

Connor - USA

I believe the mountains represent wisdom and teachings, are a place of opportunities and adventures and represent challenges that make you work hard. The Rocky Mountains, plain and simply, make me who I am and teach me how to live life and this I believe.

Their teachings, lessons, and challenges provide me with strength, will, and courage to accomplish many tasks. I remember the first time I became an accomplished skier with my good friend Tanner at Breckenridge ski resort. At the time, he and I were into U2 and constantly listened to the song Vertigo. Now during my research of all the ski areas in Colorado I discovered the run Vertigo in Breckenridge on the Peak 7 Horseshoe Bowl. Because of our connection to U2’s song, we made it our goal to conquer this run. I read up on it and found out that it is never groomed and has a 46% steep grade which qualifies it as extreme terrain. Tanner, my dad, nor I had ever tried one of these runs let alone finish one. It also required a T-bar lift to reach an area high enough to ski it. When it finally came time to face the challenge, we rose to the occasion. Despite failure on the T-bar by both Tanner and I, we finally succeeded in reaching a high enough area to attempt Vertigo. After traversing our way over to it, we realized why it was called Vertigo. The run was covered in powder and there were massive boulders twenty feet tall jutting out below and above us. We started our gradual decent and the entire time to keep myself calm , I sang the song Vertigo in my head. We snaked our way down; Tanner got to the base of the run first and face planted, followed by me and then my dad came tumbling down too. It was such an inspiring and gripping moment of my life and I learned so much from that day. I took away from this challenge all three of the things above, strength, will, and courage, and learned to have no fear of anything on the slopes anymore or facing other challenges in my life as well.

My time spent in the mountains has taught me many things and has shaped me to become who I am today. I show my strength when I am playing a sport, I show my will when I am tested in any way and I display courage when facing challenges. The mountains have showed me scenarios where each one of these attributes will be tested in life and given me lessons in how to overcome them. The mountains are knowledge and this I believe.