The Beautiful Game

Jonathan - Heber, Utah

Have you ever thought what the most important thing to the World is? In a World that is run by money and power. You will always have the beautiful game of soccer. I believe that soccer is the most popular sport that uses over five people. This is important to me because soccer in the United States is considered wussy or girly. There are three reasons soccer is so great; broken bones, great goal from high paid athletes, and its exciting!

Every time someone says soccer is girly I think to myself, they don’t have the facts. The fact is soccer has had the most injuries during a game than any other sport other than hockey. I remember watching a soccer game when I was 9 years old. A Roma player, which is in Italy, goat a red card for a bad slide tackle. He felt the Fiorentina guy flopped so as the Fiorentina player was getting up he kicked him in the face cracking his skull. The Roma player never played professional soccer again.

I have a movie with the top 100 goals of all time. The top 15 of those goals are fantastic, no other sports greatest play can compare. For example in 2002 Ronaldinho had a 40 yard free kick. He triple curved it into the top left corner. The goalie had no chance. Plus Ronaldinho better be that good for how much AC Milan in Italy is paying him. He will make about 36 million dollars in the 08’/09′ season which is about the 2nd on the list for the highest paid soccer players. The highest paid is David Beckham with 50 million dollars.

Some people think because soccer is such a low scoring game its not exciting. What people don’t realize is that a 0-0 or 1-0 game is the most exciting. When it come down to the last five minutes and both the teams are pressing to score your heart starts pounding so fast you think you’ll die. For example, on November 15, 2008 Real Salt Lake played the New York Red Bulls in the Western Conference Finals. New York scored in the first half. Real Salt Lake needed to get a goal to move on to the MLS Cup. The whole game RSL was pushing to get the tieing goal to put themselves back in the match to win it or send it in extra time. When it came down to the last five minutes of the game I was so into it I was jumping up and down. Real didn’t get the goal and I forgot to mention that they hit the post three times throughout the match.

So that is why I believe that soccer is the greatest sport that uses over five people and it doesn’t get enough credit in the United States. My three points are; broken bones, great goals from high paid athletes, and its exciting! So my goal is to have the United States see why soccer is so great and the rest of the World loves it.