Love Through Them, Laugh After Them

Bryson - Heber, Utah

I sat in the car so sick thinking about our 30 minute trip that had turned into 4 hours as cars whooshed past us on the busy highway. My family and I were all sick thinking of the past events of the long day. The canyon closed right before we got there; as we took the extra hour trip around we got a flat tire, and I got a bloody nose. Finally going again we got stuck in major traffic, all of us having to use the restroom, badly. Getting out of traffic and to the 2nd canyon on the other side we found out that it was also closed. Taking an unused but the only available road we got completely lost. On track again and half-an-hour away from home we ran out of gas which is where I am now, waiting for my brother in law’s, dad’s, friend, that lives 20 minutes away to bring us gas. We were supposed to get home at 6:00 P.M. It’s 10:30 P.M. That unimaginable night I learned that everybody has hard times; learn to love through them; laugh after them.

As you can see I’ve given one example. Everybody goes through many different hard times and, everybody gets down. Even if your hard times aren’t extreme or maybe even more extreme than mine you can do it, I can do it. John Wooden once said, “If you’re not making mistakes then you’re not doing anything. I’m positive that a doer makes mistakes.” When anyone tries to accomplish something big or even small in life mistakes happen and life can easily turn another direction. To achieve any goal in life it will require mistakes, but that’s how we learn and grow stronger. But it can be done easier together.

I’m sure you all know that hard times aren’t fun, but nobody should have to do it alone. Turn to others and love them. Love is contagious and those who you really love will love you back, and you can trust in them to help you through! As Elbert Hubbard states, “The love we give away is the only love we keep.” Two hand are better then one and having someone to love and who loves you through hard times will make your life much easier. Stuck in the car was awful as I said but I was with my family that I love and who love me back. This made being stuck so much easier and in a way, actually enjoyable. It made this hard time my family and I went through not quite as extreme. We laugh about it all the time now and enjoy telling others about it!

Learning to laugh after hard times and seeing the good and humor in hard times just makes life interesting and more fun. This story about my half-an-hour trip turning into 4 hours has been told many many times, over and over again by me to friends and family and also by my other family members with me through that discouraging time. It is a memory that is very close to me and that I will cherish forever and retell over again. Cicero once said, “The life given us by nature is short, but the memory of a life well spent is eternal.”

Hard times turn out to be what we make them. We can invite others into our life and let them give us love to ease our burdens, or you can just go it alone. We can share and laugh after, or you could fret and regret forever. Everybody has hard times. I suggest that we all learn to love through them and then laugh after them.