Hard Work

Catie - Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

Of all the things I have accomplished in life, I am very proud of my achievement in swimming. From day one of swimming in high school, I made goals knowing how far I wanted to make it. I knew it would take a lot of hard work, but it’s something I wanted to do. I showed up at every practice with my goal in mind, pushing myself to improve both my times and my technique. With all the five a.m., after school, and Saturday morning practices, I began to carry the smell of chlorine on me. Throughout weeks, the practices got more intense and more dreadful. With qualifying to the meet before states the previous year, my freshman year, this year I had to work even harder and dedicate myself even more. After the whole year of practicing, it finally came down to the night before the meet that depends if I qualify for states. I was so nervous I could barely sleep. The morning came fast and it was time to get suited up. Immediately after I got there, I had to begin warm-ups. The pool water was extremely cold, but I was not focusing on that. After warm-ups I didn’t have very long until my event so I lined up behind the block and waited. It was my heat now and all I could think about was winning to make it to states. The whistle blew and I was off and in the pool. I had a good lead and all I could hear was the cheering of the crowd as my head came out of the water. I was so determined to make it and used everything I had and learned from practicing. It was a close race the whole time so I could not determine the results. As soon as I finished the race I jumped out of the water and looked at my coach. By the reaction on his face I then knew I had made it and that’s when I realized all that hard work was worth it, just to make it to that point. That I believe is why with hard work I can accomplish anything. Whether it is getting certain grades or receiving a desired job. If I set my mind to it and do whatever it takes I can do it.