Where Are You, Grandma?

Olivia - Bowling Green, Ohio

“No! Don’t touch that! That is your sisters! Just leave it alone!”

Who was this mean Grandma? Why wasn’t she pleasant and loving like I had heard about from my sister and brother’s past adventures to her house in Florida. I had been so excited to finally be old enough to go visit my Grandma and I was extremely let down.

I believe it was her previous alcohol addiction that let me down. Her addiction turned into dementia and Alzheimer’s and she was no longer “Grandma”. She turned into a monstrous demon. She eventually didn’t even recognize her own family members. Although, she cannot drink anymore, it has permanently affected her life. I believe any addiction is never temporary.

As the years passed on her Alzheimer’s got worse and worse. Even though she has acted negatively in the past, I believe it is important to always forgive. She is still my Grandma and I love her very much. I may not have ever been able to bond with her but no matter what it is important to take care your loved ones in their time of need.

Alzheimer’s and dementia has turned my sweet and loving Grandma into a complete stranger. I believe that forgiveness is always necessary. I believe that it is important to take care of loved ones in a time of need. I believe that addiction can and always will change a person for the worst. But most importantly, I believe that family can pull together and mend any bad situation.