Music Is a Medicine

Anna - Madison, Wisconsin

Music Is a Medicine

“I think music in itself is healing. It’s an explosive expression of humanity. It’s something we are all touched by. No matter what culture we are from, everyone loves music.” -Billy Joel

It all started when I was told to do an essay in one of my middle school classes. It was an open-ended project on beliefs. I was not religious at the time, I did not think too much of life, and I did not think much about, well, anything. All in all, I was completely puzzled on what I would write about exactly. But, surprisingly, on that same day my mind was so limited, the idea suddenly struck me. I had been opening a tab on my computer to YouTube so I could listen to a song that had been replaying over and over again in my head. I moved my mouse over to click on the large “play” button that appeared over the video, and the idea hit me: music. Music is completely and wholly the greatest thing that had ever occurred to me over my thirteen years. It had healed me and helped me in hard times and it had made me happy every time I thought about it. It was just like a medicine, but with no harmful side effects. Yes, music was what I was going to write about.

Every person, in every town, in every country, in every continent has all experienced hardships and all have a way of dealing with them. All of those people also included me. My healing strategy for many years was to hide in my pillows and sulk, but slowly music crept into my life since then. Today, I not only listen to songs when I’m down, deep-hearted in the dumps, but also when I’m as happy as I could ever be, and everywhere in between. I never knew that such a thing I never bothered to do could be something I love so much to this day. And I do love it so extremely. How could I not? The cool or hot beat calms my nerves, the words let my mind forgive and forget, and the rhythm steadies my breathing as I listen intently during my awful moods. The beats also has the power to stir me up and never let me down on the perfect song when I am feeling excited, happy, giggly, jumpy, or plainly said: completely out of my mind.

About a year ago, though, I was clueless on how feed my body’s need for enjoyment or, frankly, its need for a sad something that seemed to know exactly what I was going through. Also, at the time, I must admit I was completely lost on what songs my friends constantly sang as we slowly made our way home after school. So, I decided to do a little research and take a wild leap into the world of music. It was a perfect landing. I had never known that something could keep me in touch with other teens and could also fulfill the need for what ever emotion my body had a craving for. Like I said, music is a medicine with no harmful side effects and, well, I guess music is also like a comforting double-sized candy bar or a second serving of pot pie, but with much, much less calories and fat hidden inside.

Now that I think about it, music can also be expressed as a poem. Yes, music is like a poem I once knew. It was by the famous writer Plato. It is neither long nor short but it perfectly explains what the lovely nature of music is to me,

“Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and life to everything.”

Plato, if only you knew how much your words mean to me. I’m sure we could talk all night about just these two little sentences. And maybe, just maybe, you will agree with me that music is like a medicine, the cure for everything we cannot express in words, and that it will always help and heal.