War is Not the Answer

Ivy - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: war

In a presidential debate, John McCain said “Our troops need to come home from Iraq in victory, no matter how long victory takes”. But how can our troops come home in victory if half of them are already dead? That is, if the fighting ever ends. I believe that wars solve nothing. They cause economic problems for all countries involved, leave the battlefields in ruins, and the lives of loved ones are taken away in an instant.

When President Bush sent United States troops to Iraq, the goal was to find and kill Saddam Hussein and locate the weapons of mass destruction. Saddam Hussein was overthrown shortly after the invasion in 2003, and the weapons of mass destruction were never found and obviously never will be (because there aren’t any). So why are we still there? Through my eyes, there is no reason for American men and woman to still be dying in Iraq.

Even though millions of people have died in this never-ending war, some that are alive have better lives that they had when Saddam Hussein ruled. For example, weeks after Hussein was overthrown, girls began to go to school for the first time ever in Iraq. Northern Kurds who were being oppressed by Hussein are also much happier now. Although these are a few great examples of the good this war has done, all of these good things happened within the first 2 years of the war. Since then, we have spent billions of dollars, the death toll just for American soldiers is over 4,000, and the number of Iraqi deaths is over 1.25 million. Especially now with the economic crisis, we don’t still need to be in Iraq. The people of Iraq don’t want us there and we are no longer needed there. Right now, we need to be focusing on saving our country, not one that no longer needs to be saved. I believe Iraq can take care of itself.

I believe President Elect Obama will save our country and the rest of the world by ending this war. He has plans to safely bring troops home from Iraq in a responsible manner. All of our armed forces will be exiting Iraq in the next 18 months. I think it’s incredible, considering we have spent almost 6 years in Iraq, that we can get out that quickly. By ordering forces out of Iraq, President Elect Obama is forcing Iraq’s government to take responsibility for their own country, so we no longer have to commit ourselves to protect them.

The war in Iraq has been going on for 5 years. It is a never-ending war. Millions of innocent men, woman, and children have been killed in these past years. I believe that there is no reason for U.S. troops to still be in Iraq. I believe countries should negotiate instead of sending innocent troops to kill and be killed. I believe war is not the answer.