Equality

Aidan - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: equality

Equality

I am not dedicated to many things. I am not someone who is very good at putting their mind to something and following through on it. It is not what I’m able to do. What I can do, though, is believe, especially in what is right. I believe in equality for all people, no matter what their race, age, or their level of intelligence. I think that if all people were treated fairly, our world would be a better place. For all the down sides to it, I think our world could manage without much complication, I mean, look at where we are at today. I think that equality will lead to a better future.

Equality can mean many things. Equality is giving everyone equal and fair treatment, no matter who they are. Equality is giving everyone and anyone a fair chance at getting or doing something. I’ll tell you what equality isn’t. It isn’t giving 10 dollars to one child and 50 to the other that did the same chore in the same amount of time, and with the same amount of effort. If that’s what our world thinks is fair, our world is even dumber than I thought it was already.

Our world also has a history of inequality. Take slaves for example, all those poor people working their guts out for nothing. All they got in return was a crummy place to sleep and little or no food. They got treated unfairly and badly just because of the color of their skin. That sickens me to my very core. I have to admit that we have gotten better at it. Our world has overcome most racial segregation, so what I really thought about when I did this report was children. Today, even after the Civil Rights Movement, children are being treated differently than others. Some kids get more slack on their homework and discipline, while others get close to no slack at all. That is something that I want stopped.

Equality is something that needs to be in our everyday lives. I’m not saying that life would be any easier. What I am saying, though, is that life would be more fun and enjoyable. Well, for me at least. I know that some people would read this and would have stopped by now. Obviously that person thinks that inequality is the way to go. I believe that equality should be important enough to be a part of our world, and our everyday, normal lives. As an eighth grader, I’ve seen many, more than many times where one kid is treated better than another. One of the instances I’ve seen one too many times is when a kid with learning disabilities gets to skip out of the work that all the other kids are doing. One thing that really gets me upset is when certain kids get to play on the computer. Sometimes the sound will be on, and it is really very distracting. I understand that they have a hard time learning, but they could at least be in another room. I hope that equality will someday be a part of my life.