Believing in hope

Meirah - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: hope

If I could name one thing that keeps our lives going, it would be hope. Hope surrounds our lives, and without it we wouldn’t have any spirit or any reason to live. When a tragedy strikes, such as death or injury, the reason we keep going is because we have hope that things will get better. Otherwise we would just sit there, thinking that our lives would stay the same and not see other opportunities that are opened to us.

One good example of hope is the story of Pandora’s Box. Pandora was a Greek woman created by Hephaestus in a Greek legend. Pandora was given a box that contained unknown things. She was instructed not to open, but she was given the gift of curiosity. Not able to resist, Pandora opened the box and all the evils came out such as sickness, death, war and hard work. Pandora was horrified, and managed to close the box before anything else could escape and hurt the world. She was able to keep one value in her box that we all embrace and cherish today: Hope.

Even war torn countries hold on to hope. People living in Afghanistan, Iraq, and other places of crises may feel angry, sad, and scared but they’re not hopeless. People may believe that things won’t get better in their lifetimes, but they have hope that their children will have better opportunities as adults than they do now. They also see that their kids still have hope about the future, and that sliver of hope from others keeps them going. Without hope, people in crises might just kill their family and themselves, because they don’t realize that things could get better.

When my grandfather died, my dad was extremely sad. He was upset for a while, but he found that he couldn’t be upset for long because he had to help my grandmother, his mother. His hope came back, because he saw that he could move past the death and think about all the good things that were to come. My friend had a similar experience, but instead she lost her brother. Even though he had mental disabilities, she was very close to him. For a while, she would hardly talk to anyone and would sit in her house all day. One day, she moved passed it. She had regained her hope, and she could think about all the good times she spent with him. Her life was happier after she moved passed his death, and she was able to concentrate on the future. Hope has changed so many people, by keeping their spirits alive and looking for better days.