I Belive NCAA football should be changed

Remi - Madison, Wisconsin
Themes: sports

I Believe

I believe there should be a true number one in college football with number one players. Any team may say they’re number one, but they could have just got lucky, or maybe the team that should have won had made a little slip up. You can say you’re number one, but you don’t actually know since there are so many conferences in college football with so many teams. Not everybody gets a fair chance because in college football it’s not just about how good your team is it’s how good your conference is. If you’re in a good conference naturally you look really good, even if your team actually sucks, you just look good. If you’re in a bad conference, people just look over you and say you’re only good because the conference sucks. This may be true, but you need to give the team a chance to show their skill. Let those teams play some “good teams”. Even if the lowly conference teams get blown out, they actually learn what it takes to be a “good team”.

If you’re in a weak conference and you rarely play somebody national ranked, your team never gets challenged nor gains experience. There are too many weak conferences which waters down the few good teams within them, never giving the players a real chance to show how good they are. Also, defenses and offenses can see a bunch of different types of offenses and defenses to help the players grow to become NFL material. Even if they don’t to go to the NFL, it evens out the playing field.

Why is the NCAA football so different from the NFL? Because only the cream of the crop in college will go to the NFL, even if the players don’t get drafted or picked up later by the NFL give them a taste of the real thing. Some get lucky like Tony Romo. College football players should get a chance to know what it’s like to play in the NFL because college football and the NFL are in some ways the same for what we watch it for, but also in a lot of ways different.

The way they’re the same is the players in NFL and NCAA football are both entertainers anyway you roll the dice. So, they shouldn’t have so many different rules. Why should their be penalties for petty crimes like dancing when you get a touchdown or making an amazing hit or crazy catch? Players are entertainers; they should be able to make us laugh, if there allowed to beat each other to a pulp. Why do they get in trouble for a victory dance? The difference in rules for the NFL and NCAA football is really stupid. What is considered a catch or what is considered a clean hit or even where the ball is spotted changes with their initials. Why would you make the same sport so different, so complicated, please tell me why?

If I was in charge of college football, this is what I would do. I would first change the meaning of number one at the end of the year by turning it into a battle to be number one via a tournament. Take the top teams from the top 24 conferences, or if a conference does really badly and the best team in that conference has worse than a .500 record, I would substitute some conferences out. I would add teams from conferences already represented who are better, but the team that didn’t make it because there conference winner looked better on paper or got lucky and beat them. I would slowly change the rules to be almost the same as the NFL with some exceptions. I would see how the rule changes went over with the fans and coaches. I would use that feedback to slowly make more teenagers want to go to college which would have more young adults having decent jobs instead of them not caring about there future or school and end up working at McDonald or getting put in jail.

My final argument is there should be more than 4 years of playing eligibility at the college level. Players would stay in college play sports and get the degree they want if it took more than four years. If you aren’t red shirted and you get an injury and you are out for the season that’s one year of eligibility gone. If you are good, but if there is some prodigy in front of you on the depth chart, they can red shirt you but that’s only for one year. You’re probably thinking if players can have more years, they can just keep playing college football for a long time for kicks. Think about it, with college football you’ll finally be too old to keep up with the new kids coming in. People who stay in college would not be the best players. If they were truly were great they would be in the NFL not staying in college. You would want to get paid for something you love to do instead being stuck in college going to classes and on a team with 18 years old when your 26, 27 and even 28 years old. Truly, college is to get a career in some field. That’s why we should change college football.