Charles - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

When you think of hope, some thoughts that may come to mind are happiness, joy, faith, or maybe dreams. See this is strange because when hope comes to a person’s mind, the though usually comes from despair, optimism, or at times where there is severe danger. The idea that being able to hope is good seems bizarre since hope is created when a person is faced with failure. Failure that makes the person believes that a problem can not be fixed by oneself. Hope is what makes America, it’s the there is a great immigration rate, the reason that the American dream is able to live in a citizens heart. People who come to America, come with hope, they come with dreams of happiness. It is the government’s job to protect a citizen’s right to hope because without it the dream of a better life becomes unreal.

The American government has a lot jobs that are written that it must complete to be called the government. Of all of the jobs that a written for the government to complete, the most important job, is one that was never written down. “The most important job of government is to make sure that the people it governs can believe that tomorrow has a chance to be better than today.” [Condoleezza Rice] If the Secretary of Defense in the American government can acknowledge that even in one of the greatest democracy that history has ever watched, never is it forgotten that it will always be about the life of the people. So how is it that in placed considered third world countries, the governments that are designed there are not designed on the people. In Cambodia for instance a place where 20 years ago, people who lived there would have described the place as hell’s pit. The Cambodian government was one that killed if they seen an instance of rebellion, education, or believed that you wanted more than what they were willing to give. Since then you can say that the Cambodian government has changed, but has their mindset changed. Is it possible that the reason Cambodia lacks the progression in societal matters, not because of the resources, nor government, but because that live without hope. In 1855 over 150 years ago, America was a place that had been practicing the inhumane art of slavery. What we notice about the difference in the people who were being mistreated, both were deprived of education, but instead of holding their head down like Cambodians. Instead many African Americans tried to progress themselves even in times of situation that their kind was an underclass citizen. Also the same can be said for the Jews who went through the Holocaust. Many Jews were massacred just as the Cambodians were, but instead of watching from the background many went into hiding or tried multiple time to escape. In all of these recurrences in world history three different places, three different governments, but only one difference in outlook. Both African Americans and Jewish men and women were able to find hope in their situation and use the hope to better how they lived. While in Cambodia there was a sense that they could do nothing with how they were being treated except take the cruelty.

In a recent documentary report on the Khmer Rouge and the shadow left on Cambodia’s people and how they live. When the Cambodian people were asked about the situation now, many were talking about people stayed who down the road, and how they had been apart of killing there loved ones. They address what happened not as history but more of a rumor or a myth that could possibly be true. What has happened in Cambodia is tragic not because of the number of deaths, but because it has already somewhat been forgotten by Cambodians. The government before the Khmer Rouge never had given the Cambodian people any type of hope so when there was a change for the worst. The Cambodian people had known no way to cope with failure causing them to accept tragedy. It is the government’s job to protect a citizen’s right to hope because without it the dream of a better life becomes unreal. This is why Cambodians situation of hell’s pit cannot be altered with a simple change in government.