The power of true friendship

Sara - Divide Co, Colorado

I am a strong believer in the power of true friendship. I believe that genuine friendships were created because the creator knew that we could not make it on our own. Donna Roberts once said that “A friend is someone who knows the song in your heart, and can sing it back to you when you have forgotten the words.” Friends are people who believe in us, want the best for our lives, are there for us when no one else is, know us for who we are and love us just the same. I experienced this first hand and I am going to remember that moment for the rest of my life.

Just recently one of my very closest friends almost lost her life. It was a Saturday morning and I hadn’t gotten much sleep the night before, so I decided to take a nap. I was resting peacefully in my parent’s bedroom with the morning sun gleaming on my cheek, when the unexpected happened. My dad had awoken me with a fearful sound in his voice that I had never before heard from him. Automatically I knew that something had to be wrong. He said “Sara you must get up something has happened with Ita”. I jumped up in an immediate panic asking if she was going to be ok. My heart was racing and my breathing had increased dramatically. At this point I was denying the fact that this was actually happening.

Quickly then after my mom and I had arrived at the hospital. As soon as the car stopped moving I ran as fast as I could into the emergency room. The first person I came across was Ita’s mother. She was screaming “no not my baby”; she could hardly breathe, was pacing and mumbling and saying no repeatedly. While my mom was trying to calm her down. I went to one of the nurses and begged to see her and know if she would be ok; the only thing they told me is that she is not responsive. I immediately dropped to my knees in prayer shaking and knowing that I might not ever get to hear her cute, unique little giggle ever again. Everything around me became a blur as my mind rewound to vivid memories of our past together all the way back to first grade.

The night slowly progressed as Ita’s family and I all sat around with tears continuously soaking our clothing, eagerly waiting. Finally they were only letting Ita’s immediate family see her. I couldn’t handle it anymore, so I stated that I was her sister and they let me in. By this time we knew that she was probably going to make it although with high chances of being brain dead. I went into the room and held her limp, lifeless hand as a machine pumped air into her lungs. I kissed and stroked her face and I climbed up into her hospital bed with her and told her a memory from when we were little. Soon after she started twitching, I whispered into her ear “If you can hear me squeeze my hand.” and she did. This was by far the best moment of my life. I knew that she was going to be ok. As soon as she started recovering I saw her sarcastic, sweet and humorous personality come back. No matter how much pain she was going through, we still continued to make each other laugh and cry, right there in her hospital room. I did not leave her bedside the entire night, and tried the best I could to get her mind off of things.

That Is the power of a true friendship.

She recovered quickly and was back on her feet again playing the part of my other half again.