Happiness: Everything Happens for a Reason

Lindsey - Nashport, Ohio
Themes: purpose

In life, I believe that everything happens for a reason, and if something is meant to be, then it will happen. Everything falls into place just the way that it should, even if I do not understand. Some believe that life is just a piece of cake and to take the slice that God has given, but I believe different. I know that life is complicated, there are mornings when I do not want to awake because I do not want to face another day of this life, but I do, I do wake up because I know that there is a reason for everything that happens, and it is all one piece of a puzzle that will make sense some day. I live each day for me, for myself, because if I live for anyone else, then I will not be happy. In other words, I want to be happy, everyday, in some way, this I believe.

I am not going to say that I have a horrible life because I am only 20 years old, and I am almost certain that there will be more difficult times ahead of me. Yet, I am glad that I came to the conclusion that I did now and not later because I do not know how damaged I would have been. I dated this guy for over two years who moved away on our two-year anniversary with no warning. Our relationship was horrible, he did not trust me, he said words that should never be said to anyone, he told me that I would never amount to anything, he used me, and manipulated me. He made me feel like I was nothing, I had no confidence, no self-esteem; I needed out, but I could never say no; I never got the courage to let go because I thought that I “needed” him. He mentally and emotionally abused me to the breaking point, and some say that being abused in that way is more harmful than being physically abused, and this I would know. Granted, there were some happy times, but they were out numbered by the unhappiness that I faced everyday. I felt like I had to walk on egg shells around him, and I made decisions based on what he wanted and not what I really wanted. Furthermore, I was living for him and not for myself, and I blame no one but me. I am glad that I finally got the courage to stand up for myself in order to be happy.

Moreover, I want to be a corporate lawyer, move to another state, and be able to rely on myself. I do not want to have some guy “take care of” me to the point that I would feel like a slave to him. I am only a sophomore, and I have a lot of schooling left to do, but I know that being a lawyer is what I am working towards, and I know it will make me happy to prove to him that I did amount to something.

Additionally, some believe that God is the one who makes all the decisions and that no one has control over the decisions being made, but I to some extent disagree. Life is based on the decisions that are made every day. People are able to make their own decisions whether they choose to or not it is up to that person. Everyone is in control of their own lives no matter the situation. Still, everything in life happens for a reason even if I do not like what happens or understand at that moment, I will eventually. Furthermore, I know that whatever happens in my life, I am going to be happy, and this I do believe.