Second Chances

Thomas - Fort Collins, Colorado
Themes: forgiveness

I believe in second chances. Everyone deserves one. I believe that no matter what people do, they always regret it to some degree and need to know that there is one waiting for them. People are surprised when they here that this is my belief because I am only a freshman in high school and they don’t think that I have enough life experience to believe in second chances. What they don’t know though is my experience in my eighth grade year.

Everything seemed to be going really good for me and everyone in my life always thought that I have so much potential and expected so much from me. Sometimes they expected too much. It all started back when I first got into junior high school. Many new things were introduced to me. The really big thing though that changed my life was drugs. I was offered them many times and didn’t know was I was getting myself into. Before I knew I got sucked into them and felt that nothing else could help the stress of life. There was nothing else that could satisfy my needs or just simply give me the good times. The only thing I wanted was drugs and I would do anything to get them. Before I knew it I was selling and giving other people what they needed. What happened during my eighth grade year I will never forget. At my school I gave a friend of mine some marijuana and he gave me money in return. Later that day my principal took me into his office and told me that he found my friends drugs. I will never forget what happened that day when I had to talk to my parents who were crying in grief when hearing from me that there youngest son was a drug dealer. Telling them this was by far the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my entire life.

Luckily, my mom talked to the school in and made a deal so I could come back to school in March (it was January at the time and I was told that I would be expelled). So, here I am today in my ninth grade year and I have been completely sober for 11 months now. This experience has changed my life drastically. Although I wish this had never happened, at the same time I feel lucky just to get a second chance at life. Like I said before, I believe in second chances and think that everyone, no matter who it is, deserves one.