Helping Causes Others to Help

Lawrence - Woodland park, Colorado

I believe that if your kind or helpful to someone, they will want to be kind and helpful in return. I am also a scout and I try to do a random act of kindness a day. I am just happy to help and receive help. Seeing kindness encourages me to help others and seeing the look of happiness or relief on someone’s face is a great reward. I think that when I act kind others watch me and help others out.

Last spring I went on a mission trip with my church youth group to Texas. We went to help out a poor family in need of assistance with yard work and building. My group spent about four days there building a shed and repainting their house. It was tiresome work but I love to help people. I had a great time and learned how different their lifestyle was from mine.

It seemed that in return, everyday they fed us amazing homemade food even though they were poor. They were just so happy that they could receive the help and kindness. I felt bad that they kept feeding us because we were supposed to be doing the work for free. However it did spread the kindness. During the week I was able bond with the children and work at the same time. It was nice that they kept bringing us flowers and exotic fruits.

On our last day there we bought them lunch for a change. They were delighted to try a different food and have a new experience. The mother looked like she was about to cry. At the end of the day finished our work, packed up and prepared to say good bye. We all took pictures and shared them with each other. The family said told us to come and visit again and we prayed for each other. It was sad yet happy for me because I knew that even though the time was up; I still helped out the family and had received love, kindness, and thankfulness in return. In the end I think we all learned a little bit about each other and that we all liked to receive help as well as help others out.

So I believe that because we helped them out so much they wanted to be kind in return to us and help others in their community if the need should ever arise. It seems to me that if someone sees another person do an act of kindness, they will be kind or help a different person and the helpfulness spreads like a wildfire.