I believe in words

Brooke - Centennial, Colorado

I believe in words. I believe in any words. Whether the words are in English, or Latin, or any other language, I believe in them. You’re probably thinking, well, everyone believes in words, there’s nothing to believe in because they are real. But it’s not just the words, it’s what they can become. Put words together and you have a story. Put stories together and you have a book. Put books together and you have a library. See, words have amazing power. Here’s my favorite part, take a melody, a few pages of music, add words and you have a song. Music is my one true love. I live to listen to and to play music. I love music almost as much as I love words. And when I think about it, most of the songs that I like have words. Even as I’m writing this, one of my favorite songs has come on, I’m always playing music when I work, it’s “Falling Slowly” written and performed by Glen Hansard and it’s in my favorite movie ever, Once. I love the beginning and the chorus, “I don’t know you, but I want you all the more for that. Words fall through me and always fool me, and I can’t react… Take this sinking boat and point it home, we’ve still got time. Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice to make it known. Falling slowly, sing you melody, I’ll sing it loud.” Think of what those lyrics could mean, what could have been going through his mind when those words surged from him onto the paper? Words are music. Words can be anything and everything. Break words down and they become letters. And connecting that back to music, words are made of letters, letters can become notes, and notes become a melody, a melody becomes a song. So if you think about it, a melody is one big word. Sure, you can’t read it like you would read a “normal” word, but you still read it. You read words, and you read music, so aren’t they related? Think about it, words have to be one of the most important things in the world. One of the first really useful things, besides walking, that babies learn how to do is talk. They learn how to say words before they can count, before they can draw. There is even a whole class devoted to words, and almost everybody has to take it for 12 years. There is even a book that contains all of the words in the English language, the dictionary. There are new words being created every day. People learn hundreds of new words every year. Everyone has their own words, their name. Words are enormously important. How do you think I wrote this? With 472 words.