I believe nature heals

Taylor - Woodland Park, Colorado

I remember the first time I discovered that. It was probably the worst year in my career as a teenager. I was depressed and destructive, a generally unhappy kid, the thing I wanted most in the world was to run away from everyone, I just hated everything.

It was going to be an exciting summer, I was going away and that was all that mattered to me. My family was taking a week to camp at Zion Utah.

Never been there, Never heard of it, but it was away right?

I remember the first time I saw the red sweeping canyons, and the turquoise river. The huge towering cottonwoods that leaned over to kiss the water, and the dirt, rocks and boulders were one hundred different colors of red and orange. Along the trails there were flowers of vibrant blues and purples and every other color imaginable. The sky was brilliant azure everyday. In the afternoons, vast dark thunderheads would come together to clash above our heads, and rain would pour over everything. Then right before night, the storm would clear and streaks of orange, pink, and red would cut across the sky, and thousands of stars would come out.

I remember the sound of the wind ripping through the canyon at night, and the water falling on the rocks.

It was the most beautiful place I had ever seen and little did I know everything it would do for me in that week. I had been surrounded by unhappy people, who tore me down more than made me laugh. I felt torn apart inside, like I was broken into a thousand little pieces. Everything was dark; I didn’t know what to do. Luckily, I didn’t have to do anything. It was like everything about Utah healed me. I remember hiking miles in the river through the canyon, and we stopped to take a break and I was just sitting on a rock, looking up at the towering walls around me. It was like the beauty of the canyon built me up as high as the canyon walls. There was a certain hike, a hike to weeping rock that was beautiful and green, and led to a ledge where the water just fell and fell. When I stood on the edge and looked over, there was so much light, and everything was bright. My sister and I got little inter-tubes from wal-mart and would float down the river, and laugh every time we hit a rock. We went swimming everyday in the river, and got ice cream almost every night after dinner. It was the happiest I had been in a long time.

When I went home I felt a thousand times better. It was that summer I started to rebuild myself, around different people and doing different things. Nature had healed me that summer, this I believe.