Numbers Don’t Make People Smart

Max - Littleton, Colorado

I believe that a person’s IQ does not make them smart or dumb. Grades don’t matter. I know that American schools depend on grades and they would crumble without them and parents use grades to know if a child is doing what is expected of them. I also know that I have sat through a class for a year without learning anything and I still got an A. Grades do NOT mean a child is learning. It is not the grades that matter or the IQ it is the “I will and you can’t stop me” type of mentality that makes someone smart.

Have you ever been grounded or gotten in trouble for your grades? For most people the answer is probably “Yes”. I know that for many people the grade was ruined due to a single test. The grade on this test could have been affected by a number of things. For example, what if the test taker got in a fight with their boyfriend or girlfriend and they didn’t have it in them to study. What if they simply forgot? Everyone forgets but it doesn’t make them dumb.

“I will and you can’t stop me.” This is not the type of “I’m going to a party tonight and you can’t stop me, mom” type of statement. This is the “I don’t care if you agree with me I will defend my point until I die because I know it is right” type of statement. It is the “I don’t care what happens I am standing up for my rights” type of statement. Take Rosa Parks for example. She sat in the front of the bus to show that racism was unfair and unjust and she got carted off to jail. Well, what’s the big deal? If she just took five steps further back in the bus she would have been ok. But she knew that people needed to see that they shouldn’t be afraid to stand up for their rights and she wanted to make a point. She realized how small a single person is and how big an idea can be. For this, she was a genius above and beyond almost all others.

“We are told to remember the idea, not the man, because a man can fail. He can be caught, he can be killed and forgotten, but 400 years later, an idea can still change the world.” -Evey Hammond from V for Vendetta. An idea is what makes a person smart. An idea is what drives human life and giving up on that idea is what makes people less intelligent than the geniuses who pursue an idea and never give up. What makes people smart is learning to not give in to peer pressure and to believe what they want to believe. I believe that how smart a person is is determined by what they do with their brain not a number from a test or a job they hold.