Austin - cenntennial, Colorado

I believe one thing that makes me who I am is my passion for flight. No matter what has happened in my life, my dreams of flying have always been there. Even though my head may be in books or quizzes, my mind is always soaring through the clouds.

Whenever somebody asks what superpower I would have if I could have any superpower, flight every time. If I could be any animal what would it be? I would be a bird hands down. Yet the weird, almost ironic, part of it is, I’m afraid of heights. I always want to be as high off the ground as I can but I never want to be unsafe in doing so. I cannot imagine life without that ever present thought of flying. Even if I were born before flight I would be like Da Vinci and draw flying machines. It is not even an option for me to think I can’t.

When I was less than two years old living in San Francisco the Blue Angels roared by just overhead in Ghirardelli Square. A lot of the nearby people looked at me, waiting for me to cry but instead I just watched mesmerized by them. Through the good times like winning my little league world series or performing at Invesco Field for band and the bad times like losing family members, flight has always been there. For me it’s like an escape from reality being able to use my mind to soar through the air without ever moving. It’s what I can do when I feel I have nothing else left. That’s in fact one reason I do my best in school is because I know to become a pilot you must be really smart. Flight is one of those things in my life that drives me on and keeps me going, no matter what happens.

One of the worst nightmares I have ever had was where I was injured beyond the point of healing and I was alive but I knew I would never have the chance to fly. I’m so glad that isn’t real. Flight to me is one of those things that you know you can get to no matter what is in your way. Whether it is people, items or thoughts you know you will always power ahead until you reach your dreams. What point is having dreams if you never try for them? I had a class in seventh grade called Dreams of Flight. You know how they say that if you are interested in a class that you will do really well in it? I had an “A” plus at the end of the class and I never even had to study for any of the tests. I just heard it once and when it came time to recall the information it was right there.

To me, life without flying is living a life with no meaning or direction. To me flying is everything.