Determination and Perseverance

?smail Hakan - SAN ANTONIO, Texas

I believe in determination and perseverance because if we believe those we can achieve anything that we want in our life. Determination and perseverance might exhaust people; however; at the end, when you feel the taste of success, it worths more than anything.

In 2001, when I was trying to enter Air Force Academy, I had to pass quite a few exams. First of all, we took a physical performance examination. I did well and I passed it. Also we took an oral examination and again I succeeded. After passing all the exams, we were sent to Air Force Medical Center in order to prove that we didn’t have any health problems. I spent almost a week, and was examined thoroughly by the doctors. That was pretty tiring for me. Finally after taking all the medical examinations, the doctors decided that I had no problem with my health except my far-sightedness. As a result, they concluded that I couldn’t be a cadet. When I heard that, I got very miserable and felt very pitty. While I was going back to Air Force Headquarters to give the report, one of the doctor in the hospital told me that I might reject aganist that report and try again in a different Air Force Medical Center. So, I made up my mind and told the officer in charge in the headquarters that I wanted to be checked in a different hospital. Consequently, he sent me another hospital. There, the doctors again examined my eyes and they decided that he had no problem with my eyes and he was eligible for becoming a cadet. I showed the report to the officer in charge. In that case he had to send me another hospital because the latter report showed that there was no problem with my eyes but the previous report didn’t show that I was eligible. So I was again sent to another hospital and this hospital would make the final decision. In that hospital, the doctor again checked my eyes and wrote a three-pages report concerning my far-sightedness. I thought at first he wasn’t going to approve it, but when I noticed that he agreed and noted as ‘ he is eligible and can be a cadet’ I felt very relaxed and elated.

This was one of the most terrible and nerve racking situation that I had passed through until that moment in my life. Yet, I didn’t surrender when I read the first report disapproving that he couldn’t be a cadet.

I believe that everyone should try again if they fail in the first time. If you determine and go on the subject that you pursue to achieve, you shouldn’t yield. What makes you feel better is the great pleasure that you have after the failure. Failure doesn’t mean we aren’t capable of succeeding something. If we hold our enthusiasm and pursuit towards accomplishing something, I thoroughly believe that we can overcome every difficulty we face.

Determination and decisiveness are quite important. A success without any effort or struggle may not let you feel the great joy of genuine accomplishment. For instance, If I hadn’t kept my perseverance at the time the doctors didn’t approve my report, I couldn’t be an officer today.

Whenever I complete a project or perform a duty without any effort, I always feel myself dissatisfied. In contrast, If I am putting so much effort or if I determine to do something, I usually feel myself more comfartable and satisfied.