I Believe in Music

Anna - USA

To some people music is just a song on their ipod or tune playing in their ear but to me, music is much more. Music is a sponge that soaks up the sweat beads of emotion, the very thing that I listen to when I feel down, and music is the beat I dance to every day.

My grandfather was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer around a year ago. At first he was doing pretty well but then the results were showing an increase in cancer cells. My grandfather is coming out for his last Thanksgiving. Once I heard the news, it was hard to bare. The thought of him not calling or writing letters with fragments of history threaded through each line broke something inside me. My grandfather, Dja Dja, won’t send thousands of packages with his personal artifacts inside or bring me back souvenirs from a foreign country. When I got home, the only thing I could do was to stuff my headphones into my ears and play the first song that appeared on the screen. Not only does music settle my last nerve, but also it changes the mood I am in or saves my mind from depression when I have learned one of my family members is going to leave us.

I sat there next to the window watching our gold fish swim in the pond. My ears were pulsing with the rhythm of songs that worked their magic. It took the numbing feeling away.

Times like these call for the remedies that reach far beyond medicine. They call for remedies that touch the heart and sooth the soul. Music is a remedy that takes over the body like a disease and cures it like a caring hug on a sad day.

Thanksgiving this year will be a place for appreciating the time my grandfather has walked this earth and a time for unbelievable grief. Music, my timeless generous remedy will suck the pain away and focus my energy on my grandfather and the time he has left. Music, the expression of feelings, the power to change thoughts, and my passion will always comfort me in times like these and maybe times like yours.