Finding some respect for those under oppression.

Sandibel - stockton, California

When I was15, my life experienced a big change; I came to a new country, U.S., to start high school, learn a new language and culture, influenced by my relatives that always were talking about the opportunities that this country offers, maybe because they have been living and trying to fit in this new culture, by working really hard. I think that they never take a chance to see some aspects that the immigrants are living.

During the first two years in high school I have experienced the challenges that as an immigrant, you have to face, learn a new language and get along with new people, and is really hard. During this time I was practically a normal girl, just studying, hanging out with friends, traveling to Mexico every summer, and whishing to be there every time that I came back. I’m not sure what happened during my junior and senior year, maybe I opened my eyes to a new reality in this country, “No everybody have the same value” and “humans make the life unfair for others”.

One day I woke up to the real world, and all the things that I used to care about it, were left off. After my visit to a field, where Mexican people were picking tomatoes, all dirty and tired, sweating under the hot sun, and when the morning was over they were really happy with their thirty dollars, to support their family. This experience completely shock me, then every time I was in a restaurant there were Mexicans working in the kitchen, washing dishes and cooking, while the other workers were just doing easy things, and so on, every place I walk in, there are Mexicans working really hard to get some money. All these experiences make me feel really sad, because these abused, hard-working and paid less people is my people, my gente. And they are getting discriminated, for the language, status and color that they have. I believe that “humans make life unfair for others, by giving theme less value” and treating them as garbage, only because they don’t have a paper that shows the permission to work, to live, and to have a better life. The only thing that I really know is that we are all human beings, and nobody has the right to deny a better life to others.

I experience this every day, but this help me to be better, to don’t give up, to keep fighting, and to remember every day that as part of my community and my people I wont let nobody treat me as garbage, I need to feel the respect for me and my people, and I believe that be respected is better than live under the oppression and discrimination,

“It is better to die on my feet than to live on my knees” – Emiliano Zapata.

I believe the experience of living in the U.S. helped me to care about others, to don’t be selfish and arrogant, to feel proud for who I am and where I came from, to feel proud about my people and learn that no everybody appreciate the quality of persons, life is unfair and I have to fight to make it a little bit fair for those under oppression.