I Believe in Belief

Caroline - USA

I Believe in Belief

I believe in belief. I believe in the fact that human nature makes us need to believe in something, no matter what that something is. People believe in all sorts of things. People believe in God, people believe in Buddha, and some people believe that there is no God or there is no Buddha. It is in human nature to need to believe. When people ask themselves “What is the point of life”? They don’t have the answer. They may have guesses but there is not one, single way of know the meaning of life. This brings me to another point; I think that people find it hard to accept that they simply do not know something. I’m not talking about if they don’t know the answer on a math test or if they don’t know how deep the sea is at its deepest point. I’m saying BIG things. People don’t know why we are here or what the purpose of life is, so they choose to believe, because it makes them feel like they do know. Even if the people can’t know, they can choose to know that they believe. People may choose to believe in God, or science, or the fact that they just want to have as much fun as possible before they die and screw the rest. But no matter what they believe in, they believe because they don’t know. They choose to believe, if only to have something to believe in. People need the security of having something to believe in because they do not know.

Some people may say yes, but what about when people choose not to believe in something, anything? It still makes them believe. If a person says, “I do not believe in God!” They don’t believe in God, however, that also means that they believe that there is not a God. It is simply impossible to NOT believe. This is stated well by one of Newton’s laws. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. For every belief there is an equal and opposite belief. People have beliefs, or disbeliefs (which then translate into beliefs) that lead their daily lives. Or they may just lead a small part of their life. Either way, people not only want to believe in something, they need to, so they do. Why do people need to believe? Maybe if we knew the answer to that question we wouldn’t need to believe. However, until we have all the answers, people will believe. People will continue believing.