I Believe There Are No Facts

Brian - Centennial, Colorado

I know that most of my argument is just calling something another name, but by doing that I show my opinion is different than the majority and that there are no facts. There is no way to prove I am wrong or society is right. The whole world is opinion. If society calls something a fact it shows that most of society thinks that it is right and they agree on it.

I believe that there are no facts. The “fact” that we define today is the majority of people agreeing. When I was in English many times the question the teacher would ask applied directly to my opinion and not to any of the memorized knowledge stored in my head. It was all a matter of perspective if Macbeth was good or bad or if books should be banned. There is no way to prove anything in this world. If someone tells me that what we are eating at is a table I could easily tell them that they are wrong and we are eating at a green. How could they prove I am wrong and they are right? Well the dictionary says a table is what we are eating at, but a dictionary is just noises that society calls words to describe surroundings. A dictionary does not prove anything it just shows that a majority of people would agree that a table is something I can eat at. During school we study the science behind evolution. There is absolutely no way to prove religion or science. Religion is based purely on faith and there is no reason for a true believer to prove it, but science is based on “facts”. Carbon dating is a source used often to find the age of fossils, but there is no way to prove it is true. If a scientist says a fossil is a certain amount of years old I could tell him I did the same process, but came up with a completely different answer. It does not prove him wrong or me right. If someone says that their hair color is brown I could easily say I think it is blonde that is just my interpretation of hair color. Maybe everyone in the world thinks that person has brown hair, but me, but that does not mean it is brown it just shows that there are many different opinions. Everything society calls a fact is something that was only agreed on. It is all opinion. “Fact” is majority of the same opinion.