Jordan - Littleton, Colorado

I always was a quiet child. I was a happy child, but a quiet child. My parents and my teachers would always try to make me be more creative. They could not seem to understand that I could not really express myself in ways like art, or with speech presenting. I plainly could not express myself on paper. I could not get creative on paper. I went in that dismal way for a while. I was writing papers and doing projects without any real interest, or care at all, until I finally found my passion.

I believe that music is my passion. I found that out after I had been playing the saxophone for a few years. My brother had played the saxophone for a year, and was making great progress. I felt that if my brother could do it, than I obviously would be able to do it. So, my parents decided to try renting a saxophone. It only took two months for me to become tired of learning, and wanted to sound as good as Charlie Parker, or John Coltrane. I would always complain about having to practice, or about cleaning out my instrument. It really was not until I sat down to put my instrument together one day to practice, that I really looked at the instrument. On the side it said, “Yamaha. Established in Japan.” That struck me as odd. My mother’s side of the family originated from Japan, so I felt honored to be holding a Japanese saxophone in my hands. I felt all of the keys in my hands, and softly ran down them. I must have sat there for a good five minutes. I then noticed that I had been sitting there for a lot longer than I wanted to be, so I pulled my saxophone out of its case, and I put it together, as I always did. I got ready, and the first note I made out of my instrument was probably one of the most beautiful I have ever heard. I am not even joking. It was a great sounding C sharp. I would practice harder and harder every week afterwards. I sounded better and better each day. I joined as many classical bands as my school could offer. I wanted to work to sound good, and it paid off by allowing me to be accepted as an eighth grader into a High School Marching Band last year. This year, I find myself thoroughly involved in the band program, as the second chair Saxophone in the Symphonic Band and the Wind Symphony, and as second chair Trombone in the school’s Jazz 2 Band.

I’m not only expecting, but believing that I will have more challenges in the future, and I feel that I can overcome just about any obstacle that might come my way.