Seeing The World Around You

Kayson - Heber City, Utah

Seeing The World Around You

I believe that it is important to see the world around you. Many people focus on the fun things that are close to where they live and they don’t even realize that there is a whole world surrounding them. I am lucky enough to have parents who’s one love is traveling. Because of this, I have had the opportunity to see many exotic places. I’ve been to over 9 different countries and 28 states. I won’t go into anymore detail than that. I will say though that out of all the places I’ve been to, one of my favorites is definitely Europe.

At the beginning, I thought a trip to Europe would be all fun and games. As soon as I arrived, along with my family, I realized that I was wrong. I soon began to understand the phrase “Walking into another world” meant. Every country was totally different from the next. For example, in the small country of Belgium, the people live in very old style towns. Cobblestone streets, canals, old stone buildings, and 16th century dutch architecture houses were abundant in many small towns. And then there was France where everything and I mean everything was well landscaped. The large city of Paris was filled with upper-class houses, amazing monuments, along with lots of parks filled with tourists.

Soon after the trip, something hit me. I realized that the only way I could have really learned about other cultures was to leave my hometown. Nobody could have learned what I learned or experienced what I experienced by simply reading a book or watching a movie. Sure you could gain the knowledge about other cultures but nothing more. I believe that by traveling to different places and experiencing different cultures has helped me become a better student and also just a better person in general. Seeing how other cultures live has helped me to better understand other people’s points of view. I hope that everybody can or will take the opportunity to travel outside of where they live. It is the only way to truly learn about a different culture.