Being Charitable

Ryan - Heber City, Utah

Last Christmas my family decided that we should give some of our presents to another family that would appreciate them more than we would. We all decided that our presents would mean a lot more to the less fortunate children then to us. We all tried to think of what we got last Christmas. When we could only think of one or two things that we received, we agreed that this was the right thing to do. So we enrolled in a program in Salt Lake that gave donated gifts to families throughout Salt Lake. We got our paper that gave a description of the family of four. They had two boys and one girl, and lived in a small apartment in west salt lake.

A couple weeks before Christmas we went shopping for the family. We used money that we would normally spend on our selves, on gifts for the family. We weren’t very hesitant on our spending limit because we knew this family would only have this experience once a year. We picked out cars, trucks, dolls, scooters, legos, basketball,boardgames, and clothes. WE wrapped them all nicely and got them ready to take on Christmas morning.

When Christmas morning came, we took the presents over to Salt Lake to the donation center. All of the families were there to collect their gifts. We found our family in the far mourner of the courtyard talking amongst themselves. We found our a little about the family and then handed out the present. Their aces lit up at the sight of their new gifts What happened next was totally unexpected. The youngest girl came up and hugged my mom. The two boys followed, hugging my mom and dad. They took turns hugging each of us. You could tell that they were satisfied with the outcome of their Christmas.

As we drove home, everyone was talking about the new family friends. Everyone was happy and content and there wasn’t even talk about getting home and opening our own presents. We all agreed that this would become a family tradition. . Because there are people out there who deserve a good Christmas too, this I believe.