Never Give Up

Caprice - Heber, Utah

Never Give Up

Persistence. It is the will to keep going despite difficulties or obstacles.

In my own life I have experienced challenges. I had to never give up in order to succeed. For example, I decided to try something new that i had no experience in.

I had never officially played soccer before. I was so nervous that right when I got the news that there were tryouts, I went running to clear my mind and think about what I wanted to achieve. I went to tryouts and eventually made the team. I started the season with no experience or knowledge of the game. At first, I didn’t play as one of the starters, and didn’t get as much playing time as I wanted. I made a goal to play as a starter, know and love the game, and to eventually score. It would have been easier to give up, but with a lot of work and determination, I achieved my goals.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just give up. My basketball experience started in sixth grade. I had never played basketball and randomly wanted to play. I didn’t know anything and was told that I wouldn’t play very much. I wanted to play so badly. I tried my hardest and ended up playing quite a lot. Now basketball is one of my favorite sports and I still play it three years later. If I would have given up, I would have never been on the team. In my room I have the following poem hung on my wall which reminds me to never give up:

“When things go wrong as they sometimes will;

When the road you’re trudging seems all uphill;

When the funds are low, and the debts are high,

And you want to smile, but have to sigh;

When care is pressing you down a bit-

Rest if you must, but do not quit.

Success is failure turned inside out,

The silver tint of the clouds of doubt;

And you can never tell how close you are

It may be near when it seems so far;

So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit-

It’s when things go wrong that you must not quit.”

I love this poem. It always helps me to keep going no matter what. I make sure that I read this every morning so that I can get through the day. This poem is so amazing because it makes you have hope that everything will work out. I have been through a lot of hard times, but in the end it all seems to work out. If I would have not tried out for basketball and just given up I would have not found a talent that I have.I have tried a lot of new things and have gone through a lot of amazing experiences. I am so glad that I didn’t give up and achieved what I wanted. This I believe.