Be Yourself, Even if you Aren’t Normal

Hadly - Heber, Utah

Be Yourself, Even if You Aren’t “Normal”

Do you like to be judged on how you look on the outside? Does it bother you that you feel pressure to buy name brand clothes you’ve never even heard of? Don’t you love just to have fun and be yourself? These questions have really affected me and I believe that you shouldn’t have to worry about being judged by what clothes you wear or how you look. You shouldn’t judge unless you want to be judged too. You should be free to be yourself.

If you got a really hideous sweater from a friend for your birthday, would you tell them how ugly it is, or be appreciative? Well, when we say we don’t like our bodies, this is how it makes God feel. He created us and we should be grateful. Not only did He construct us, but he gave each and every one of us a different look. You should always try to be yourself, “because everyone else is taken.”

Being yourself, to me, means that we should dance as if no one is looking, and if they are, so what? It doesn’t and SHOULDN’T matter what others think of you. “Do what you want and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” (Dr. Seuss) Now, as a teenager, I know how hard it is to NOT care what others think. There is always pressure from the media, and other things as well, that tells us we have to look and act a certain way. But you don’t need to be someone else. Just be you! “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” (Judy Garland)

One time, I was really liking this guy, and I wasn’t acting myself around him. I was trying to be what I thought he wanted. He told my friend he didn’t like me, or the way I acted. My friend, in turn, told him that for some reason, I was never myself around him. When he found this out, he told me to just act myself, and not care what others think. I started acting myself, and he started to like me.

If you don’t want to be judged, then don’t judge others. It’s as simple as that, yet also very complicated. A lot of times, you may be caught up in the moment, and start to talk about someone because of how they look, or even act. Beauty comes from the inside. For a long time now, we have been told that beauty is mainly on the outside. If we all quit judging others on looks, no one would feel the pressure we feel to look a certain way.

Be yourself. Don’t let others stand in your way if you want to be something different than what is considered “normal.” Don’t judge. This I unquestionably believe.