But Stand

Holly - Heber, Utah

But Stand

Do you think it is brave to stand up for what you believe in? Well, I do. A wise man once said, “Stand alone if you must, but stand.” When we stand up for what we believe in we show confidence and make our beliefs stronger.

When I was in 8th grade there was a class where the teacher would play some music while we worked. Some of the music swore or had bad messages. Many people didn’t mind it or at least did not say but it really bugged me.

So, instead of just dealing with it, I asked the teacher to change the song. He did and the next day he told me that he took it off the playlist on his computer and asked if there were any other songs that I had a problem with. The rest of the time I was in that class he not only stopped playing the songs but showed me a lot of respect.

I was glad that I stood up for that even though others might have thought it wasn’t a cool thing to do. I didn’t care what others thought because it made me feel better about myself. It could have even made others realize what they think is important, and if they really could stand up for it.

I think that standing up for what you believe in does take courage and bravery but, it’s worth it, By standing up for my beliefs I gained respect from my teacher and I also realized that I have the courage to do what I did. My people may not stand up for their beliefs because they think others will laugh and make fun of them. The truth, however, is that others will probably look up to you for standing and support you, not bring you down.

I have learned that when you stand for you beliefs you also gain self-confidence to do whatever you think is right. You gain trust in others that you’ll stick to your word and they will hold you responsible for things that they wouldn’t for others. If you have a strong belief in something you should stand up for it, even if it is not the most popular thing. This is what I believe.