Music Is the Air I Breathe

Blakelin - Anthem, Arizona

I believe music has been the “air” in my life. George Elliot once said “I think I should have no other mortal wants, if I could always have plenty of music,” and I couldn’t agree more. As far back as I can remember I have loved music. Being in the car with my parents and hearing the music, reciting the words, and telling them who the artist was, is one my fondest memories.

I first got involved with music in elementary school. I remember going to music class, which was always a part of the school system where I’m from, and when the teacher would send us outside to play with the autoharp, I always wanted to be the one to go and play with it. It just fascinated me. When I was nine I started with the piano after hearing the technicality of Elton John’s piano playing. I thought to myself “I have to be able to do that.” I stuck with it for five years until I lost interest. Taking lessons felt like a job, not a hobby, and that made me want to give up. I went maybe two years without playing anything until I realized I had to play guitar. I bought one after my trip to Europe in 2005 and I have been addicted since.

Nine years, one piano, nine guitars, five amplifiers, one bouzouki, and two ukuleles later, I could not imagine going one day without touching an instrument. They provide an outlet for everything. No matter what kind of mood I am in, there is a song, or a key, or a chord progression that fits that mood. For every mood, for every feeling, and for every emotion, there is at least one song that fits. It can be 100 degrees outside, but one phrase of lyrics, one arpeggio, or even one simple note can send shivers throughout my body and give me goose bumps. For people who play, they know what I mean.

Music allows everything in the world to go away. Sitting down with an instrument puts you into your own little world, where the real world doesn’t exist. It’s like going on a short vacation. When I had some problems at home with my dad, I wrote songs to get my emotions out and I played other people’s songs to get my mind clear. That was also when I started playing frequently with other people.

It doesn’t matter how I feel, what kind of mood I’m in, or how my day is going. For me, it is like food: a basic necessity of life. Music is the “air” that I breathe, and without I would be lost completely.