People Are Lakes

Logan - Littleton, Colorado
Themes: humanism

I believe that in a way people are lakes. While I understand how such an arbitrary statement may seem fairly eccentric, it is the one truth that I will continue to live by for all of my life. People are lakes, a statement open to endless interpretation. They have an undeniable depth with countless layers of vibrant life, which is often masked by a stretch of dust and debris. Everyone is different in their own unique way. I believe that is the world’s one most important realization.

We as human beings are capable of concealing our emotions as we feel necessary. It is vital that we remember this simple fact about not only ourselves but those around us as well. We must be aware that that which we witness on the surface, no matter how eloquent, may only be a reflection, a falsified image of the encroaching environment capable of making us forget what is really there. We must look past that reflection into the depths of others souls. We must not accept people as they are at first glance, because first impressions aren’t always what they seem to be.

Each and every day I am reminded that no “lake” is the same as me. I am constantly reminding myself that I have to be accepting; I have to be open to the idea that some people reflect more than others. I have to be open to the beliefs and opinions of others without judging. I have to understand that some people may cast a greater reflection than me and what a privilege it is to finally experience the life within another person’s soul. We all must be forthcoming to the idea of exchange, the belief that while part of us should stay true to ourselves, isolated within our shores, that on occasion a part of us may be passed on through streams and rivers to another human being. With this passing of ideas, this exchange of thought we can grow and develop, we can prosper.

I believe that people are lakes. They are their own individuals. I believe that as a society we must accept, we must indulge in the privilege of soul, and we must be open to new ideas, to growth and to change. I believe without proper differentiation of individuals we as humans would mesh together and become an indefinable identity. I believe people are lakes.